Jill's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Apr 18, 12

Read from April 14 to 18, 2012

Printz Award Winner. I think Laurie Anderson does a good job, it's just a difficult subject to tackle. The main character's teenage voice is believable, I just thought the author could have done a better job explaining how her feelings changed toward the end of the book. It seemed too abrupt to me.

"The time has come to arm-wrestle some demons. Too much sun after a Syracuse winter does strange things to your head, makes you feel strong, even if you aren't."

"We won't get anywhere without knowing our goals. Everyone always says that and it is so true."

"The orchestra plays an unrecognizable tune. Heather says the school board won't let them perform Christmas carols or Hanukkah songs or Kwanza tunes. Instead of multicultural, we have no-cultural."

"Mother is the rock, I am the ocean. I have to pout and roll my eyes for hours until she finally wears down and crumbles into a thousand grains of beach sand. It takes a lot of energy. I don't think I have it in me."

"When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time. You'd be shocked at how many adults are really dead inside--walking through their days with no idea who they are, just waiting for a heart attack or cancer or a Mack truck to come along and finish the job. It's the saddest thing I know."

"Seeds are inefficient. If the seed is planted too deep, it doesn't warm up at the right time. Plant it too close to the surface and a crow eats it. Too much rain and the seed molds. Not enough rain and it never gets started. Even if it does manage to sprout, it can be choked by weeds, rooted up by a dog, mashed by a soccer ball, or asphyxiated by car exhaust. It's amazing anything survives."

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.