Jessica's Reviews > Where the Truth Lies

Where the Truth Lies by Jessica Warman

Apr 14, 12

Read in April, 2012

This book by Jessica Warman is incredibly complex and surprising; and in my opinion, wonderful. Emily is the main character whom suffers from terrible nightmares, and she doesn't know why, and everyone around her appears to be clueless as well. Her father is a headmaster in a boarding school, she has lived there all her life, and attended the school starting in grade seven. This book takes place when she's a Junior/Senior.

I've read many reviews on how people have said that the book doesn't go in-depth at all and is very flat, while I believe quite the opposite. I find that Del is incredibly compelling and it makes complete sense as to why he is the way he is, and did the things that he had done. I loved the growing relationship with Renee and Emily, and found it to be very real and almost meant to be. Franny, on the other hand, had given a strange impression on me from the start, she didn't seem quite right. I imagined her as being 12, even though she was 16-18 throughout the book. I found that Emily's pregnancy was a bit rushed, but not all that surprising. Ethan was quite charming, but I believe that he wasn't right for Emily, despite the fact that they ended up together in the end. Which leads me to say, that I didn't enjoy the end all that much. Like Del, I believe that he could have protected Emily and knew all aspects to her, whilst Ethan is just a boy who fell in love.

Despite all of this though, I enjoyed the book quite a bit. I also was quite surprised to find that "Breathless" by the same author, and this book, were tied together slightly. A pleasant surprise, either way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Truth Lies.