J.C. Martin's Reviews > Tidal Whispers

Tidal Whispers by Jocelyn Adams

Apr 14, 12

Recommended for: Fans of romance, lovers of sea mythology
Read in April, 2012

4.5*--curse the lack of ½ stars!

I enjoyed TIDAL WHISPERS overall. All four stories are so very different, and not just another fishy mermaid tale.

HEART'S DESIRE is a touching story with a tough, likable heroine. I found Tessa compelling because of her disability. Whilst the story is sweet, I felt it was rather predictable, and in my opinion ended quite abruptly.

THE SWEETEST SONG centres around Circe, one of the most successful sirens working for Poseidon, and Otis, captain of the Calypso, a ship that has eluded her several attempts to sink it. I adored the interactions between Circe and Otis, and the ending cannot be any sweeter. With this story and her romantic suspense THE P.U.R.E. (read my review here), Claire Gillian is fast becoming one of my favourite writers.

I have always been fascinated by the islands in the Pacific, and THE PEARL OF PAU’MAA brings all the flavours of simple island living to life. The villagers are banned from entering the sea after a series of drownings and shipwrecks, believed to be the wrath of angry gods. But without seafood and supplies from the mainland, the people are starving. Hungry Miki defies the elders’ orders, diving down to check one of her lobster traps. What she finds is far more unexpected–and precious–than her next meal. A tale of love and destiny, I was mesmerised by the underwater world and society Ms. Said managed to create within the space of the short story.

And finally, we have THE UNDERGARDEN. I adored Nixie’s childlike innocence, and the tale of friendship and love between man and water sprite had me reading non-stop. This story has by far the saddest and most touching ending of all, but it is no less satisfactory, as it ends with both closure, and hope.

Overall, TIDAL WHISPERS is a quick, enjoyable read, and I’d recommend it to readers of romance and lovers of underwater mythology everywhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tidal Whispers.