Teji's Reviews > Good Bones and Simple Murders

May 10, 12

bookshelves: centennial-bookclub
Recommended to Teji by: Vicky
Read from April 14 to 19, 2012

A collection of short works by Margaret Atwood. Many of them are quite witty. However, after a while, they seem to be redundant takes on the same theme.

I didn't really get "Bad News"

Favorite bits:
"...this game was once played...by six normal people and a poet" "Murder in the Dark", p2

"It's true, there are never any evil stepfathers. Only a bunch of lily-livered widowers...Where are they when I'm making those girls drudge in the kitchen, or sending them out into the blizzard in their paper dresses?...The thing about those good daughters is, they're so good . Obedient and passive. Sniveling, I might add. No get-up-and-go. What would become of them if it weren't for me? Nothing, that's what...I stir things up, I get things moving...twist my motives around all you like, you can dump millstones on my head and drown me in the river, but you can't get me out of the story. I'm the plot, babe, and don't ever forget it." "Unpopular Girls" p9-11

"Men's novels are about how to get power. Killing and so on, or winning and so on. So are women's novels, though the method is different. In men's novels, getting the woman or women goes along with getting the power. It's a perk, not a means. In women's novels you get the power by getting the man..." Women's Novels p28

"But life is bad for you, hold it in your hand long enough and you'll get pimples and become feeble minded." Women's Novels p28

"Watch yourself. That's what the mirrors are for..." "Iconography" p94

"She said gently that she wished he would talk more about his feelings. He said that if she had his feelings, she wouldn't want to talk about them either." "Alien Territory" p105

"Sometimes we lie still and do not move. If air is still going in and out of our breathing holes, this is called sleep. If not, it is called death." "Homelanding" p137

"By now you must have guessed: I come from another planet. But I will never say to you, take me to your leaders...Instead I will say, take me to your trees. Take me to your breakfasts, your sunsets, your bad dreams, your shoes, your nouns. Take me to your fingers; take me to your deaths. These are worth it..." "Homelanding" p138

"These thoughts come with breakfast, like the juice from murdered fruits. Your depression, my friend, is the revenge of the oranges." "We Want It All" p135

"Where do you draw the line, between love and greed? We never did know, we always wanted more. We want to take it all in, for one last time." "We Want It All" p135

"Today I speak to my bones as I would speak to a dog. I want to go up the stairs, I tell them. Up, up, up, with one leg dragging...Good bones, good bones, I coax, wondering how to reward them; if they will sit up for me, beg, roll over, do one more trick...There. We're at the top. Good bones! Good bones! Keep on going." "Good Bones" p164
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Bones and Simple Murders.