Cynthia Archer's Reviews > Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nina Sankovitch

Apr 16, 12

Read from April 14 to 16, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tolstoy and the Purple Chair.

Cynthia Archer Reading a book a day for one year is the way the author chooses to find a way out of the grief she feels after her sister dies. Her rules include reading an author only once in the year and not rereading any books that she has previously read. By indulging in reading, she hopes to be able to find pleasure and renewed interest in life. Along with these, she discovers that through her daily readings, she is able to find things she was not looking for. She experiences healing and makes peace with her grieving, as well as finding a camaraderie with the characters in the stories, even those who at first glimpse appear to be completely different. There are similarities between people if you look closely. She is able to relate to even the most unusual and foreign characters, and in putting herself into their shoes, she understands and accepts life as it is.

I would recommend this to anyone who really enjoys reading, especially mature readers, who have shared some of her experience and will appreciate the perspective. It was an uplifting and very pleasant book and I have already added some of the books she read to my "to read" list.