Kathy's Reviews > Bayou Moon

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

Apr 14, 12

Read in March, 2011

Bayou Moon,

I don't find it extremely necessary have read the first book in the series (On the Edge) prior to reading this book. This is the second "Edge" book, however, IMHO it can also function as a standalone.

I really procrastinated when it came to reading this second installment. I wasn't overly impressed with Williams character from the first book and had my doubts that this installment could be any good. However, the author did a great job at delving into the sleek and edgy side of Williams character.

At first I had a hard time getting into story. I was fearful that this book would consist purely of the romantic aspect but I could not have been more wrong. The story reeled me in slowly, as oppose to drawing me in right away. Once the story hooked me, I was completely immersed into it. I couldn't put this book down and at the odd times when I was forced to put this book down, I couldn't wait to pick it up again.

I enjoyed this installment a bit more than the first book. One negative though, at times all the different zones between the different worlds were very confusing. Besides that issue, this story was darker with more action and mystery and I love that the heroine was as sharp and deadly as a razor.

SF fans, even though this story takes place on two other worlds, with "The Broken" being the earth we know, I wouldn't necessarily called this a hybrid between dark urban fantasy and Sci-Fi. However, it is still a great and exciting read.

I highly recommend this book to fellow dark urban fantasy fans, and look forward to the next book Fate's Edge due out in 2012.
I also recommend:
Shadowfever
Broken Mirrors
Shotgun Sorceress
Hellforged (A Deadtown Novel)
Unchained: The Dark Forgotten
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bayou Moon.