Juste's Reviews > The Good Father

The Good Father by Noah Hawley

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 14 to 22, 2012

I'd read some great reviews on this book but ultimately it just made me feel empty and disappointed... but maybe that's truly a sign of how good the book is?? It left me feeling as empty as the father in the story with no real answers for comfort.

The story follows Paul Allen, a Doctor/Father in search of answers after his first Son is the prime suspect in a political assassination. The book weaves and jumps sporadically between present and past and encompasses some rather in-depth studies of similar crimes whilst our central character sinks deeper into a pit of obsession and doubt.

Overall the writing is superb however the case studies of similar past crimes at times felt unnecessary and drawn out. The small and often obscured conclusions almost seem like an afterthought and the story asks more questions that the protagonist has the power to answer which makes you wish they weren't asked at all.

This wasn't an easy read and I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone else but there are some interesting take-aways and some moments of great writing that'll be hard to shake off.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Father.