Noah Hallett's Reviews > A Thousand Sons

A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeill

Apr 14, 12

I read this immediately after reading Nick Kyme's Tome of Fire Trilogy. I was willing to read this entirely because I liked those books so much. This one was also recommended to me by the same friend who lent me the Tome of Fire Trilogy, because he knew I liked the Thousand Sons.

In short, I was a little underwhelmed. This story is VERY slow, which I don't usually mind, but this is a very long book where remarkably little actually happens. And while the battles are described in excruciating detail, it was somehow hard for me to picture it clearly.
The description of Magnus, the Primarch of the Thousand Sons, is quite good. The portrayal of Ahriman (the protagonist, and my main reason for wanting to read the book in the first place) was very disappointing.

I should say, there are a few very memorable moments. Those parts are very cool, especially interactions between the Primarchs and the different Space Marines chapters. And how the Imperium deals with the issues that spring up immediately before the Horus Heresy.

Overall I thought it was well worth the read, and despite the slow progress of the story, I enjoyed it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Sons.