Vinaya's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

This book, oh my god, th-th-thi...

Photobucket

WARNING: You may need a lifeboat to stay adrift in the oceans of adoration below!

Photobucket

There are simply no words to describe the mountain of awesome that is Sarah Rees Brennan. This is my very first Brennan book, and I feel like the universe has cheated me by not introducing me to her earlier. Some day, technology permitting, I would LOVE to splice together DNA from Sarah and my other favorite funnywoman (funnyman?) Rachel Hartman to create my very own personal funny clone, and then I would just sit around and laugh hysterically all day.

Photobucket

Don't be scared... I'm only a little crazy!

Unspoken is unlike any other YA book I have ever read. I'm not going to say it is TEH BEST BOOK EVAH (even though I want to!), but it is, without doubt, incredibly unique in the YA sphere. It manages to mix together all the elements I find most appealing (and conversely are the least predominant) in YA fiction today.

Photobucket

The conclusion is clear: WE NEED MORE ANIMALS IN YA!

But that minor defect aside, Unspoken will rock you like a 19th century hurricane. Also, don't drink Coke while reading this book - snorting with laughter while consuming carbonated beverages can be most unpleasant.

On a more serious note, I sincerely believe Sarah Rees Brennan is magic.

Photobucket

If you're thinking I have too much time on my hands... you'd be right!

In the unlikely event that my pretty pictures didn't convince you to go out and arm-wrestle a grizzly in order to obtain an ARC of this book, here are some words that will definitely do the trick!

Angela had a perfect body. She had a perfect face too, but at least she put some effort into that, her makeup always flawless and her abilities with eyeliner unnatural. Kami focused more on clothes than makeup. She was always forgetting to put on lip gloss as she rushed out the door, but she felt the likelihood of forgetting her clothes was not high.

“So he’s not crazy?”
“I didn’t say that,” Holly said. “My current verdict would be: Crazy eyes. Nice ass.”
“I think I want that on my tombstone,” Kami said. “Remember my last wishes, if I get involved in a tragic accident with a fruit cart before I can put it in writing."

“A leather jacket,” Kami said as he shrugged into it. “Aren’t you trying a little too hard to play into certain bad boy clichés?”
“Nah,” said Jared. “You’re thinking of black leather. Black leather’s for bad boys. It’s all in the color. You wouldn’t think I was a bad boy if I was wearing a pink leather jacket.”
“That’s true,” Kami said. “What I would think of you, I do not know. So what does brown leather mean, then?”
“I’m going for manly,” Jared said. “Maybe a little rugged.”
“It’s bits of dead cow, don’t ask it to perform miracles.”

“Technically speaking, you drive like a rabid chicken who has hijacked a tractor.”
“Like a bat out of hell,” Jared said. “Nice simile. Sounds sort of dangerous and cool. Consider it.”
“Not a chance. I like my brains the way they are, not lightly scrambled and scattered across a road. And speaking of bad boy clichés, really, a motorcycle?”
“Again I say: rugged,” Jared told her. “Manly.”
“I often see Holly on hers,” Kami said solemnly. “When she stops for traffic, sometimes she puts on some manly lip gloss.

“Please just stay clear of him,” she said, and Kami realized Jared was the Lynburn her mother was most afraid of.
“Whoever he is, I agree with your mother,” said Dad as he entered the kitchen. “Stay away from him. Stay away from them all until you’re of marrying age. Once you reach a nice, mature fifty- four, gentlemen callers will be welcomed here.”

“Is this true, Kami? Are you going out on a date?” Dad asked tragically. “Wearing that? Wouldn’t you fancy a shapeless cardigan instead? You rock a shapeless cardigan, honey.”

(All quotes are from the ARC and will be verified against a retail copy)

Also, I promise to write a proper grown up review that will make Random House want to auto-approve me, a little closer to publication. In the meantime, if can beg, borrow or steal an ARC of this, trust me just this once and DO IT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

04/22/2012 page 1
0.0% "SO. EXCITED. GAH!"
04/22/2012 page 1
0.0% "The closest this reporter has come to getting our town’s scoop is when I asked Mr. Roger Stearn (age seventy- six but young at heart) to tell me a secret about our town. He confided that he believed the secret to Sorry- in- the- Vale’s high yield of wool was in the sheep feed. Opening para ftw!"
04/22/2012 page 65
18.0% "if the rest of this book continues the way it's started, I may have to build a little shrine to Sarah Rees Brennan and offer her little puppies daily."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Isn't it on Netgalley?

Vinaya Yesss, but random house doesn't like me! *sobs harder*

Hi Maja! Did you get my email? :)

Gina (My Precious Blog) Don't feel bad, Harper Collins doesn't like me. (I've been very fortunate with Random House)

message 4: by Shveta (new) - added it

Shveta Thakrar Vinaya, this is out, too!

*excited for the U.S. edition*

message 5: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Stout I'm the opposite of Gina: I almost always get approved for Harper, but Random and I have a tenuous relationship. They don't usually like me. haha

message 6: by K. (last edited Apr 22, 2012 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. This book is so full of awesome its almost unfair to other books. I'm going to reread it before reviewing it. It's that good! And if you are building a shrine, I'd gladly worship her with you.

curious little beastie KM wrote: "I'm the opposite of Gina: I almost always get approved for Harper, but Random and I have a tenuous relationship. They don't usually like me. haha"

Haha, I'm the same about Random! I used to get approved a lot by them, but now I don't think they like me anymore cause I get declined so much. :c And it sucks cause they have very interesting titles available right now, including this, which I really wanna get my hands on.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ugh. I requested this on NG and they have not responded to my request. I would rather get declined than get no answer.

Vinaya Yesss, they do take forever to respond, especially on Net Galley. I think they are better on edelweiss, though. I have almost stopped requesting Random House titles on NG, they take forever, and they generally say no!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Do they have this one on Edelweiss? *goes to look*

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hartman I've got my eye on you, wenchlet.

*jealously guards DNA*

message 12: by Maree (new) - added it

Maree I need to start this and soon I think :) It's got so many great reviews.

message 13: by jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

jo mo geeeez, this review has me all excited!!

message 14: by Astrid (last edited Apr 24, 2012 03:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Astrid I haven't read this yet, and eagerly await the day when I can. But if you can, get a hold of her other books! They're awesome and you can tick off most of your chart with them too. I did a similar thing when reviewing the final book of her Demon's series:
Demon's Surrender Review

Michelle K. wrote: "This book is so full of awesome its almost unfair to other books. I'm going to reread it before reviewing it. It's that good! And if you are building a shrine, I'd gladly worship her with you."
I'm doing the same thing. I stayed up late one night and devoured it in one sitting...and now I feel like I have to reread it before I can write a review that does it justice.

Kimba wahoo..i didn't read review..just your stay afloat comment..cause i am reviewing this soon...but based on your comment..i wanna read it now :) so glad it rocked your boat!

message 17: by Stardrag (new)

Stardrag That last quote surprised me more than it should've. Parents being in a fantasy story? And then they have personality? She's done the IMPOSSIBLE!

Marie I skimmed your review, I won't lie! I didn't bump into any potential spoilers (not saying you would do such a thing, I'm just paranoid) but I did want to say I'm pretty impressed with the graph you made!! :)

Ceecee this is gonna be on the top of my want-need list. i need to find this. >w<

Honour I just finished reading this and...I'm floating somewhere wonderfully calm surrounded by snippets of conversations and laughter and confidences and moments of paranoia and absolute trust from Unspoken. I'm incapable of writing a decent review for this book right now and I'm SO glad you wrote such a great one. It expresses my feelings well.
Also, SRB is a goddess.

Kadie D♥ I really enjoyed your review, thanks for the quotes it shows the mood of the story, I'm going to start reading it immediately!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah no love triangle? oh, I'm so going to read it!

message 23: by Sonia ღ (new)

Sonia ღ Excellent review, Vinaya! :)

.meo.moe. EEEPPP THis review is all the reasons I loved this book can we just about Kami and THE SHAPELESS CARDIGAN LINE I LOVE HER DAD kbye