Emily's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: bestsellers, fantasy, fiction, futuristic, series, young-adult
Read from April 14 to 21, 2012

Huh.

That is how I felt after finishing the last book in The Hunger Games series.

For such an epic first and second book, I agree with pretty much everyone I've read reviews by or talked to that Mockingjay is a pretty anticlimactic ending. I also found it a bit heavy for being a young adult book. Did everyone who ended up dying have to die in such detailed, gruesome ways?

And, I don't know, I'm still kind of sitting here scratching my head wondering what the point of all of it was? Collins doesn't really explain very well what happened to Panem after the rebellion. And the Epilogue, while very well written and a nice conclusion to what happened in Katniss' personal life, I felt was a bit rushed. Like she was trying to just get it over with and give the readers what they wanted without really exploring Katniss' relationships with Peeta and Gale.

I also felt most of the character's deaths were worthless and in vain. It's like Collins thought, alright, no one has died in the last 50 pages or so, so I'll just go ahead and mutilate this person now.

And what happened to the strong-willed girl from the Hunger Games?? Katniss becomes almost this lifeless blob at the end. I know she went through a lot but goodness, talk about a waste of such a strong character. I felt frustrated with her by the end. In the end, she acted like a victim, not a "mockingjay." She seemed to just become submissive to her life, without really living it. It would have been nice to see her do something meaningful with the rest of her life, considering half the people in the series died for her to do just that.

I don't know. It was a bit disappointing and just okay compared to the other two. Glad I read it, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.