Scott's Reviews > Firecracker

Firecracker by Charles R. Verhey

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: blog-reviews
Read from April 15 to 16, 2012

The story of Firecracker follows Cas, a pyrokinetic with a very tenuous control of her powers. She starts her adventure unemployed, running out of money, and praying that her next job interview goes well so she can turn it all around.

Her last hope for a job is with PsychTeam, a group of psychics that consulate with authorities to help find missing people and solve other crimes. When she arrives for her interview she meets Li, a mysterious guy who really doesn't seem to like her. It takes the intervention of Miyuki, who is the head honcho of the team, to get her a job.

The book reveals some interesting psychic powers that the various team members possess as well as having a few story arcs. The main story involves mysterious shadow creatures that seem to be hunting people with the Zoe blood type (the genetic marker for psychic abilities). There is also a small story about the relationship between Li and Cas as well as an arc involving Cas finding a missing girl.

The characters were great in this book and I really enjoyed Cas. It was nice to see someone who had immense power, but had no real control over it. The difficulties Cas had with wage garnishment due to accidental damage and the constant threat of immolating some random object made her a character it was easy to feel for. Li was a bit further out there, but hey I might just have trouble relating to world class martial arts millionaires lol. His tragic past made him a bit easier to come to terms with, he wasn't the perfect example of everything either.

The story flowed pretty well for the most part, although there were a few parts that seemed a little rougher. The book was a very entertaining read that I finished in two days. I imagine there will be more books to follow and I will be waiting for those eagerly.

Overall score of 4.5 stars, worth the rounding up for sure.

Review copy provided by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firecracker.

04/15/2012 page 257