Katy's Reviews > Irises

Irises by Francisco X. Stork

Apr 14, 12

Read on April 14, 2012

3.5 stars - This story was heartbreakingly beautiful. Kate has such a burden to carry on her shoulders for an 18 year old. But who I really sympathize for is Mary, who is 16 but does not have room for weakness as her sister deal with those burdens that are so overwhelming her sister has to be selfish. Both sisters suffer greatly, and they had such different ways of dealing with their grief.

The reason I hesitate in giving this book more stars was this book would make my eyes misty but never succeeded in letting any tears fall - which would be okay, but I felt Stork tried a little too hard to hit you with as much emotionally painful situations (just when you think it's bad, she gives us something else to make it so much worse) that you would think you would be sobbing your heart out.

And I did feel the summary was a bit misleading, because it made the book seem romance heavy, when in fact, the romance was just the sidebar - which is a good thing because this book was good focusing more on the girls' story. Maybe the summary just needs a bit tweaking.

Overall, a nice story that tugs are your heart but does not leave you depressed for the day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irises.