Kim's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Apr 23, 12

Read from April 14 to 23, 2012

I'm not sure who to recommend this book to, but I really enjoyed it. Yes, it is a book about zombies, but really it is actually a book about war. The story is told as a series of interviews with survivors of the global war against zombies. Because of the format, you never really get to know any of the characters, but I think that is okay, becuase it almost reads like a work of non-fiction - like an actual history book. It makes a lot of interesting points about what it is like to fight an unfamiliar enemy, how propaganda plays an important role in war, the importance (or unimportance) of technology in battle, and other issues that I feel could apply to any war. One of the most interesting things was the discussion of class reversal after the war. All the people who started at the top (executives, entertainers, assistants) were pretty much useless after the zombie war, and all of the blue collar workers (plumbers, carpenters, maids) suddenly became extremely valuable and in charge of training their former bosses. An unexpectedly thought-provoking book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.