Cassandra Miller's Reviews > Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King

Apr 14, 12

Recommended for: Scary-story lovers
read count: 1

This is by far my favorite collection of Stephen King short stories. Each on was different, but equally scary. My two favorite short stories were "Sorry, Right Number" and "Umney's Last Case".

I read "Sorry, Right Number" at my parents cabin by myself and everytime the phone rang I was terrified about what I would hear on the other end. I think I reason I love this story so much is I have always wondered if I could call my past self and change something, would I and how would my past self react. This story asks this idea and shows that although we might want to change the past, we can't and I think in some ways that is a scary concept. it is almost like we have no control over our lives.

"Umney's Last Case" really made me rethink myself. As a unprofessional writer, I have always joked that I enjoyed putting my characters in situations or lives that I wish I had, but in this story King asks the question, would you switch places with your character and a characters reaction to the real world. I found this story not really scary, but instead throught provoking.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightmares and Dreamscapes.