Ann's Reviews > Light in August

Light in August by William Faulkner

Mar 02, 10

Recommended to Ann by: Liz
Read in August, 2008

I finished reading this and I am glad to have finally completed it; it took a long time. I had never read Faulkner and my sister had mentioned his work a lot so I wanted to check him out. The story centers around Christmas, a man who doesn't know if he is black or white. Faulkner's writing is interesting and goes from place to place, telling detailed and elaborate side stories that all come together (but very slowly). He has passages where I am not going to lie, I have no idea what is going on. Which, I guess, is interesting; forces you to reread and focus on his intentions as a writer. But, maybe it's like that because it was sensored a bit- tends to happen at violent moments. I also have a new weird fascination with the south, so I really enjoyed this book and it's descriptions of America at an interesting time in US history. And, Faulkner's characters are really interesting. The good are bad or the bad are good.

I'm going to change my score for this book because I keep thinking about this book, randomly, for months since I've read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light in August.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy The Sound and the Fury is AMAZING. But, yeah, Faulkner books are best read twice! You catch so much the second time!

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Yeah I was going to read the Sound and the Fury, but I wanted to start with something different to mix it up. It's next on my Faulkner list.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Light in August and The Sound and the Fury are both wonderful, but Absalom, Absalom! is my favorite. It's one of the darkest, strangest and most beautiful novels I've ever read. It takes a long time to get through- every paragraph is turgid and dense. But it really could be no other way...how else can an artist unravel the horror that lies at the core of the American experience without being pat?