Andree's Reviews > Emily of Deep Valley: A Deep Valley Book

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** OH.

Favourite of Favourites! This is my favourite MHL. It just is is.

(I could almost end this review here, but I'm not going to.)

I started it, and Don was introduced, and I was all, "Who is this FOOL? Go away!"

And he took ever so long to do that. At first I had this horrible feeling that I was going to have to try to like him, but then HURRAH, not so much. Annette can have him. (P.S. this is the second book I have read where Annette is the popular cousin who snags the foolish, stupid boy away from her quieter cousin - good ridance. Interesting, yes? Particularly since the authors were roughly contemporary.)

I love Mr. Wakeman, and how he was introduced, and then she meets him at Mrs. Fowler's again. I am, however, heartily ashamed of myself for not realizing in advance that he was Mr. Jed. I love the Syrian boys, and how that comes about. Although, it was predictable, it's still lovely. I knew she'd end up teaching English in her house by the time the book was through. I love the Wrestling Club, I love her grandfather, he's charming and lovely. I love their traditions.

The Little Syria subplot was a long time coming, given that the author sowed the seeds in Betsy, Tacy and Tib. I guess this book was to be expected. Speaking of which, I love how Alice introduces Emily to the older crowd (parenthetically, Alice so needs her own book. I am intrigued). Love the return of Tib, Betsy (Ray's shoe store will always be Ray's) and Tacy, and the focus on Betsy's hair. I loved seeing them all, Fred and Cab, and the teachers, just everyone.

Oh, the teachers. I may be overly fond of the Deep Valley High school faculty. I love Miss Fowler in particular. HEE. And her matchmaking schemes. I apparently have a thing when it comes to the teachers shipping couples in this book. Because the teachers so obviously shipped Jed/Emily.

Which, Mr. Jed. He is so lovely and charming and perfect. He always regretted that he never got to hear her debate... He brings her daffodils. He likes to talk to her. It's all so sweet and lovely.

And I love Emily's growth, and how she talks to Betsy about it because they both had 'lost years.' (Although, is Betsy everyone's de facto confidante in these books?) The first section of this book, when she's all depressed about feeling left behind and also feeling like she doesn't quite fit in anywhere is very genuine. It's very well done.

So, to sum up, I love it all.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emily of Deep Valley.

Cathy Wasn't around for the discussion this time, but let it hereby be known that I adore Emily of Deep Valley.

And:

Hahahaha.

Andree Yeah, I may have actually exclaimed that, loudly, in my empty apartment. Sometimes I get overly invested...