Matthew Collins's Reviews > The Victim of Prejudice

The Victim of Prejudice by Mary Hays

May 04, 12

Read from April 14 to May 04, 2012

I enjoyed this book. Great ending in my opinion. SPOILER ALERT. I like that nothing ended really happy. I felt that Hays did a great job portraying the issues women went through back then. I do admit a little that it does get tiring reading 18th century novels and having all the women fainting all the time, or randomly balling up into tears, but looking past that I actually liked the heroine of this novel, which is hard to say about some of the other heroine's from other 18th century novels about women. Anyway, I am currently working on a paper on this book to submit as my writing sample for grad school and I am sad that the book has been neglected for so long. I feel it is a worthy read for anyone interested in English literature, and at least necessary that people know who Hays was. Anyway, if you like books from this time period, give this one a try, it is a fast read. Don't expect anything like Pride and Prejudice though, Hays is infinitely more pessimistic (and more realistic) than Jane Austen was, not to mention a lot more liberal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Victim of Prejudice.