Oriana's Reviews > Cat's Eye

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Jan 07, 14

bookshelves: perennialfavorites, phenomenal, read-pre-goodreads
read count: infinite?

There is still a wide-eyed teenager living inside me, and this book makes my melty twee little heart break and sing in equal measure. When I was 16 and read it for the first time, that was as close to a transcendental experience as I've ever had. Since then, I have re-read it roughly twenty thousand times, always whenever I need to just submerge myself in drenching beauty and angst.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat's Eye.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

switterbug (Betsey) My favorite Atwood book! WELL, THIS AND THE BLIND ASSASSIN.

Oriana I do love Blind Assassin, but nothing beats Cat's Eye for me. : )

switterbug (Betsey) Right on! And so many copycats try to mimic this~and invariably fail!

Oriana so true! I can't even think of any who come close.

Moira Russell This is one of my favourite Atwoods ever - I always thought nobody else really liked it! I love the descriptions of her paintings.

Oriana I love the descriptions of her everything. What a stupefyingly marvelous book. I'm so glad you also love it!!

Moira Russell oriana wrote: "I love the descriptions of her everything. What a stupefyingly marvelous book. I'm so glad you also love it!!"

It's also one of the FEW books I've ever read that was close to the experience of my childhood - only transformed into stunning art.

Misha Cat's Eye is the best. And it does explore just how awful girls can be to one another. It shows just how complex friendship can be and how hard it can be to examine and break free from things holding you back in the past.

Oriana Ha. I mean, I want to say yesyesyes, but also there's the caveat that my opinion of this book was cemented when I was sixteen. I do still think it's brilliant, many many readings hence, but I can't honestly say how it will appeal to someone who is very much not a teenage girl.

message 10: by Oriana (last edited Jan 07, 2014 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oriana Well I do hope you love it! And even if you don't, I'd be very interested to hear what an older dude thinks of it.

Melissa I just read this book, per your review, and....dumbfounded. So absolutely perfect in every way a book could ever be for me. Please let me know if you have any other Atwood recommendations or books that are on the same level as this one for you! Thankyou!

message 12: by Oriana (last edited Jan 21, 2014 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oriana Oh! How wonderful, Melissa I'm just thrilled to hear that, my goodness.

The other Atwood I'd say that's most similar is The Robber Bride. I also love Surfacing and Life Before Man, and even The Edible Woman, though that one's kind of dated at this point. I mean all her books are wonderful; the just-completed MaddAddam trilogy is brilliant too, but it's much more dystopian.

Another book I think maybe you'd like is Adverbs by Daniel Handler. It's one of my very favorites, and just electrifies my twee little melty heart. Some of Joe Meno's books do that too, like Boy Detective Fails.

Good lord, do I ramble on.

Melissa Thanks so much!! Currently placing Amazon orders for all of these books. Much faith! =p

Ps. Just finished Dona Flor & Her Two Husbands, and would love to know your opinion on the book if you've read, and if you haven't, I highly recommend it!

best!

Oriana Wow, cool! Can't wait to hear what you think.

And I will definitely check out Dona Flor, I've never heard of it.