Linda C's Reviews > Born Under a Million Shadows

Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield

Jun 26, 12

Read in April, 2011

I read this last year for book club. I'm still on the fence whether this is a 3 star book or a 4 star, but since it has been a year and I still remember the story vividly, I'm going to be generous and give it that extra star. So many books fade away into mediocrity a few weeks after you read them-- since this one seems to have made a lasting impression.

Although it had some flaws, it was a lovely book that made me think of Afghanistan in a new way, as something more than a war torn country that treats its women as second class citizens. That being said, life is hard there. People live in poverty and often die young.

This book was written from the viewpoint of a young boy. There were some occasional missteps with the tone, but in general, the author did convey the wonder of children everywhere-- hanging out with friends, playing soccer, having a little money in one's pocket, while contrasting it with just how difficult life is for women and children, who have little money and little money in a patriarchal society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Under a Million Shadows.