Kayla Perry's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: memoir
Read in April, 2012

Reading this was almost like therapy, it had its ups and downs, some really high notes and some really dark places. I really relate to Strayed's emotional turmoil and she writes in such a way that I felt like I was an unseen observer, bobbing along on her trek down the PCT even though it was years ago. It really affected me in the best way possible in a time when I needed an imperfect hero to show me the way I'd lost, and I really cannot be grateful enough.

I actually live in Beaverton (right outside of Portland) and even work at the bookstore she cites within its pages towards the very end, so I'm regretful that I didn't get a chance to see her in person to tell her how much I appreciated this book. There were actually times I stopped and held it to my chest, imagining for just the tiniest moment what it felt like to be sitting alone in the wilderness with nothing but a book and my memories as the smallest link to the outside world. I remember one time in particular after reading the Winston Churchill quote "Never, never, never give up" that I sat there and just absorbed the entire message of the book, the whole long, beautiful, complicated story that one human life can be.

That she was brave enough to share it in all its messy, meaningful glory was a real gift and is one that I will hold in my heart along with the other good books that have impacted me profoundly.

Thank you Cheryl.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

Quotes Kayla Liked

Cheryl Strayed
“What if I forgave myself? I thought. What if I forgave myself even though I'd done something I shouldn't have? What if I was a liar and a cheat and there was no excuse for what I'd done other than because it was what I wanted and needed to do? What if I was sorry, but if I could go back in time I wouldn't do anything differently than I had done? What if I'd actually wanted to fuck every one of those men? What if heroin taught me something? What if yes was the right answer instead of no? What if what made me do all those things everyone thought I shouldn't have done was what also had got me here? What if I was never redeemed? What if I already was?”
Cheryl Strayed, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail