Jenn's Reviews > Nineteen Minutes

liked it
bookshelves: books-owned
Read in March, 2009

Really a 3.5.

Ever since this book came out, I've been extremely excited to read it. There's something about the subject of school shootings that really interests me. I guess it's wanting to understand how someone can do something like that, but it's also because I'm curious at how the murderer's family reacts and how the victims can gain even a sense of normalcy back after the incident.

I wasn't very impressed with the first half of the book. I'm definitely a reader who enjoys a STORY, and not just a study on human emotions and relationships. Now, if they went hand and hand, I'd love that...and that's what she does in the second half of the book. The story definitely picked up, you found out some characters were hiding secrets, and you got even more background on Peter's life.

It was painful at times to read what happened to Peter on a daily basis. It made me think about my own high school experience and while I don't remember ANYTHING like that happening to any particular person, I'm sure it did to a more minor degree. I only wish I would've seen someone like that because, unlike Josie, I would've done something.

What really made me confused is that I really sympathized with Peter and WANTED him to get off on the murder charges..maybe be charged with something to a lesser degree. How could I have any sense of morality and ethics and want something like that? But I did. Peter wasn't a murderer, at least not the type we see on TV and read about everyday. Peter was just a bullied kid who finally snapped. And while most kids might not ever do something to that degree, I bet they sometimes wish they had the balls to take a stand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Minutes.

03/12/2009 page 25
03/16/2009 page 60
13.64% "Thought it was cool how she included Jordan, Selena & Thomas from The Pact :D"
show 3 hidden updates…