Jana's Reviews > Intrigues

Intrigues by Mercedes Lackey

F 50x66
Apr 14, 12

I own a copy

Intrigues is the second book in The Collegium Chronicles. It follows the character Mags as he takes his place in the Heralds Collegium, a school where the Chosen go to learn to be Heralds. This should mark the end of serious drama in Mags's life, but the three Collegia are in a state of change and all is not well in the capitol city of Haven.

(view spoiler).

Intrigues is a novel that any fan of Valdemar is happy to read. That being said, it was mediocre at best. The story line was very familiar, as it has been seen numerous times in the Valdemar series. The characters are tepid and whiney and the whole thing smacks of a younger target audience, unlike her previous works. The addition of Kirball was distressing as it seems to be a take-off of Quidditch. The problem with this, one of them, is that The Collegium Chronicles are set before The Heralds of Valdemar trilogy where Kirball is not played, or even referenced. Now, the assumption is that the sport's disappearance will be explained somehow so that it falls into line with the Valdemarean novels that come after the Chronicles. However, it reads as a tedious filler that jars with the already established (in previously written, if chronologically later, Valdemar novels) practices of the Collegia. I'm sure many will disagree with me on this, but I found it puzzling and uninspired. I hope Kirball does not play such a big role in the third installment.

Overall, I would say that Intrigues is neither good, nor bad. If you are a fan of Valdemar, then I would suggest reading it, but don't expect much. The bar was set with The Heralds of Valdemar and The Last Herald-Mage trilogies, of which, so far, The Collegium Chronicles do not even come close.
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intrigues.