Sarah Anderson's Reviews > Sarah's Key

bookshelves: first-reads
Recommended to Sarah by: Won it in a Goodreads Give Away
Recommended for: Jewish Historians
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

This is one of those books that's supposed to be good for you. Ergo, it's not that much fun to read.

I liked the story of the girl. I don't know why we didn't learn her name until halfway through the book, because her name is the title, but the struggles with the roundup were gripping.

I could not stand the American journalist. Whiny, pouty, her husband was a real bastard. It took until at least halfway through the book for the whining to diminish and the stories to intersect. The constant jumping between the past and present drove me to distraction. I just wanted to read Sarah's story.

The problem is that, once the central motivation for Sarah is resolved (hint: It has to do with that key) her Point of View drops away, and we are left only with the whiny American journalist. It's hard to care about her bastard French husband's infidelity when I want to know more about if and how the girl survived.

The two story lines did meet back up in the end, and that was fairly satisfying. But I didn't always enjoy getting there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.