Raymond Brown's Reviews > The Blood of Heroes: The 13-Day Struggle for the Alamo--and the Sacrifice That Forged a Nation

The Blood of Heroes by James Donovan

M_50x66
Aug 26, 12

Read in June, 2012

A well written straight forward account of the Fall of the Alamo. I think others have mentioned the use of the narrative style - and I would say that although the captions mention the use of "new" archival material - that there is not really anything new revealed here.

The book makes good use of source material and is up to date with regard to the materials discovered to date. The notes are not really well referenced as they are not noted with numbers to specific passages.

The author presents a seamless narrative but does not really dwell on much of the controversy surrounding the facts associated with the demise.

I would say it is good to see a solid telling of the story. I personally am looking for a telling that explains the multiple controversies around the facts that can be told with balance.

For example, the kind of controversies that Thomas Ricks Lindley raises, or James Crisp, etc...baking these alternative views into a narrative would be quite interesting.

By the way, if Juan Seguin was incensed when Jim Bowie released Antonio Fuentes from prison in the early days of the siege, why did Antonio remain to die after Juan had departed? Could Juan identify with the loyalty shown here? Just wondering...

Nice story indeed!
Ray

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood of Heroes.