Robert's Reviews > The Short Reign of Pippin IV

The Short Reign of Pippin IV by John Steinbeck

May 26, 09

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

Light-hearted political satire is perhaps not what one expects from Steinbeck, but this was a late work and the late works can be characterised as attempting not to be what one expects from Steinbeck...yet the style seems all Steinbeck.

Witty and funny at first, more typically melancholic in the middle the reader is left guessing whether it will end in tragedy or not until very near the end - though my guess was correct.

Throughout there are more or less subtle and amusing observations at they way countries are ruled, the way corporations are ruled and what happens to people who are thrust into positions of power against their will.

The characters are drawn clearly and I quickly held them in affection just as i now hold this book in affection. A quirky but successful experiment from Steinbeck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Short Reign of Pippin IV.

05/23/2009 page 28 "I haven't read any Steinbeck for years and I've never read this one before."
05/23/2009 page 34 "The Christian Atheist Party."
05/23/2009 page 70 "The Merovingian Royalists."
05/24/2009 page 76 "The Proto-Communists."
05/25/2009 page 105 "The Egg Prince."

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura This was one of my Dad's favorites. It was a joke in our family because whenever someone was looking for something to read, he would say "How about The Short Reign of Pippin IV?". I did read it...good book!

Robert Read any other Steinbeck books?

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Of Mice and Men, and The Pearl, many years ago. You?

Robert Heaps! Both of those, The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, The Long Valley, The Red Pony, Tortilla Flat, Cannery Row and probably a few more I've forgotten about.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura I take it you like him! I'll have to check out more!

message 2: by Robert (last edited May 24, 2009 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robert Yes - my favourite of those I've read is East of Eden. Pippin IV is something of a departure from his usual themes of life in Depression California.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Heh, yes, Pippin IV is quite different. ;)