Beth Dawkins's Reviews > Dollhouse: Epitaphs

Dollhouse by Andrew Chambliss

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012

Dollhouse was a T.V. show that ran for two seasons. It was actually set to be canceled after season one, but the fans raised hell, and season two came around. When the show originally aired I admit I didn’t watch it. Mostly because during that time my T.V. watching was limited to whatever my parents had on when I visited. Later I started watching the first season on Netflix, and then basically sacrificed a couple days for both seasons, yea, it was that good.

The comic starts after Echo takes down the Dollhouse, and the Rossum corp has used phones to erase everyone’s minds, and reprogramed them. If you have never heard of Dollhouse, then you should think about watching it, in the meantime I will give you the basics. A Dollhouse was a place where they would take people and wipe their brains, they kind of agreed to this. They would then input personalities into these same people and pimp them out to very wealthy people, or send them on hardcore missions. Echo and Alpha were exceptions, sort of, but you are going to have to watch the show to know more about that.

The comic starts out with Alpha and Ivy. Ivy isn’t actually there. She has made copies of her personality when Rossum created apocalypse on earth. This means that everyone who picked up the phone is running around killing for no apparent reason. There are a few exceptions, and those people are making tech to send out signals to wipe anyone who isn’t dead or already nuts. Alpha and Ivy meet Trevor, a kid, who Alpha tweaks to upload skills into his mind. The story also surrounds Mag, Zone and Griff. For them they have no idea what has happened, the world has just kind of fell apart.

The artwork looks a great deal like the actual characters in the show. I was delighted and surprised by this. I really enjoyed it, but I don’t know how much more I will read ARC digital scans, because the quality was awful. I wouldn’t have been upset with a little blurry, but the words were hard to read.

As for the story and characters, it took me a little while to get back into the Dollhouse mode. It has been a while since I watched the show. I think the idea that a signal could kill out your personality is pretty wild, and really awesome. As with the show it is pretty mind blowing. The fact that Alpha, who is not the sanest character, is one of the main guys is also pretty cool. I did feel like some of the dialogue was a little stiff, or too predictable. I wanted to feel more tension, especially after watching the show. It has its flaws, but it is thought provoking which for me is a pretty important.

I think I wanted to like it a lot more than what I did, or maybe I just wanted a bigger build up at the end. The beginning was very emotional, and this seems to fade out once Echo makes her appearance. It shouldn’t have, but it felt a little predictable when she showed up. This killed a lot of the buildup. I am hoping for a second volume to find out where the story goes!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dollhouse.

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Dichotomy Girl My husband and I just recently rewatched the Dollhouse Episode "Epitaph One" during a spontaneous Joss Whedon Marathon. I'll be interested in checking this out!

message 12: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Dawkins Michelle wrote: "My husband and I just recently rewatched the Dollhouse Episode "Epitaph One" during a spontaneous Joss Whedon Marathon. I'll be interested in checking this out!"

Let me know what you think if you do!

Dichotomy Girl Beth wrote: "Michelle wrote: "My husband and I just recently rewatched the Dollhouse Episode "Epitaph One" during a spontaneous Joss Whedon Marathon. I'll be interested in checking this out!"

Let me know what..."

I love pretty much everything Joss Whedon touches, I just wished the library carried more of his comic's (or that my purse was deeper!). Side note, we saw his new movie "Cabin in the Woods" this weekend. Great...but only if you like scary movies!

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Dawkins I don't usually like scary movies, but I was thinking about seeing it just because of Whedon. :)

Dichotomy Girl Beth wrote: "I don't usually like scary movies, but I was thinking about seeing it just because of Whedon. :)"

Plus...it's good to support the new theater or we'll go back to having nothing to do here! LOL

Beth Dawkins Michelle wrote: "Beth wrote: "I don't usually like scary movies, but I was thinking about seeing it just because of Whedon. :)"

OMG! I wasn't aware we were in the same town!! I really like the new theater! lol. I was like- 'She doesn't live in the same place does she? And then looked at your profile.' I mean I am Bethlehem not Winder, but that is awesome sauce!

Dichotomy Girl Beth wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Beth wrote: "I don't usually like scary movies, but I was thinking about seeing it just because of Whedon. :)"

Plus...it's good to support the new theater or we'll go back to havi..."

I think that's how I found you way back when? It came up with local people, which amused me...because Winder isn't exactly a hotbed of culture! I was so excited when our library finally got ebooks...but it seems that all Winder-ites want to read is Romance Novels!

Beth Dawkins Michelle wrote: "Beth wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Beth wrote: "I don't usually like scary movies, but I was thinking about seeing it just because of Whedon. :)"

Plus...it's good to support the new theater or we'll go..."

Nothing wrong with some steamy stuff every now and again. One of the ladies tells me whenever they get in something she calls 'strange' since she says I like the odd ones. :) I love our library compared to Monroe- I used to live over that way.

Dichotomy Girl Oh, I don't mind steamy, it's the Harlequin type stuff that, well, makes me laugh more than anything else, LOL (Though every few years I will feel the need to read about an Rakish English Duke seducing a gently bred innocent just for old times sake!)

I am actually very fond of the winder Library, though it's lack of book choice occasionally drives me crazy! But I know many of the Librarians (a few are even on goodreads), so we have a good time discussing my sometimes strange reading choices. So that is definitely one of the good things about small town libraries!

Beth Dawkins I sometimes read a good bit of Paranormal Romance stuff, and a good one of those never gets old for me. Most of the time it is the same basic formula, but it always gets me.

I have to agree with you about our library. Sometimes the books they do have surprise me, but the majority of times I have a lot of stuff on hold.

Dichotomy Girl I like Romance in my story, but not necessarily to be the main focus? I guess I tend more to the Sci-Fi / Fantasy, and a lot of YA. Have you read The Iron Duke, I read it based on Felicia Day's review. I get some interesting book ideas from her at time (plus I love the idea of being goodreads friends with someone who worked with Joss Whedon! LOL)

Beth Dawkins It has been on my list for a while. I am kind of behind on my reading lately.

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie I loved the Dollhouse series - Buffy too! Whedon is awesome.