Jazzmarie Vedrine's Reviews > The Kissing Hand

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

Apr 14, 2012

bookshelves: 4-5-year-olds, animal-knowledge, animals, emotions, family, mother-child-relationship, transition
Read in June, 2012

This book will leave you saying, WOW!, but also leaving your heart warm and softened by the message in it. I do not remember having read book that caused me to feel the love and warmth this book had left me to feel. It helps a child feel the security they need to feel while apart from their loved ones. I loved the intent of the message and even the use of animals in being the characters telling the story. As much as we relate with human characters, the use of animals was just as effective. Like any moment in our live where we had to face something new, which we did not want to face, we wish we could face it with someone familiar and someone we loved.

In the book, the baby raccoon, Chester, is taught a very special secret by his mom, to help him conquer his fear over going to Kindergarten. His mom teaches Chester, how to carry her love everywhere he went so that we would not feel alone. Her love was placed on his hand, and was applied with a warm kiss. Now, Chester would not feel alone in school, while being apart from his mother and felt comforted by the warm gesture that was placed in his hand.

As much as we may try to say the right things to coax a child into being somewhere new while apart from their parents, there is nothing better than something that they can hold onto to be reminded that they will not be alone and also that their loved one will come back.

CREATIVE EXPERIENCE:
During Circle time, would be a great time to introduce the topic of "What makes you feel scared?". After the children have shared their story about what makes them scared, then discuss what would help them feel safe and secure and carry with them everywhere they go. This could help them be creative than just the kissing hand. They could have a kissing blanket, a kissing doll or kissing toy, anything that they love to carry with them or just the imprint of love always with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kissing Hand.