Nicole's Reviews > Wildwood

Wildwood by Colin Meloy

Apr 14, 12

Read in January, 2012

Not gonna lie, I bought this because Carson Ellis illustrated it. I saw the cover in the bookstore and went "OMG CARSON ELLIS. I DON'T CARE WHAT IT IS ABOUT, I WILL READ IT." And so I did. It was worth buying, just for the illustrations. There are four GORGEOUS color plates in it, and a dozen more black and white drawings, and they make the book. As for the book? Well it was alright. First of all, I recognize that at 18 I am far above the target age demographic, and I definitely felt like I was "too old" for it. However, I do still read some children's books and general, and that is not always the case, for example the Mysterious Benedict Society is a children's book that is still highly enjoyable for adults (also illustrated by Carson Ellis!) Wildwood however was very much a book for kids, with talking animals and magical kingdoms and all that. It's written by Colin Meloy so its sort of a total hipster-child book (especially in the begining, I mean, the 12 year old girl rode a bike with radio flyer wagon attached to the back of it and went to USED RECORD STORES. Seriously?) but once they entered the forest, that hipster-ness faded a lot. I don't feel like it was a particularly inventive story, it sort of seemed like a combination of about five books I had read as a child. Would recommend for children, but doesn't hold up for a broader audience. Those illustrations though, make it all worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildwood.