Brett's Reviews > Hunger

Hunger by Michael  Grant

Apr 14, 12

Read from March 25 to April 03, 2012

I like this second book in the Gone series much better than the first. Mainly because the two biggest problems for me were overcome previously. Now the series is down to good vs. evil in this new Lord of the Flies world with a science fiction twist.

One of the issues that kept bothering me was how many important things the characters missed. Ways characters could have easily solved or improved things. What I had to understand was the integrity that Michael Grant was keeping. He wasn't going to have 15 and younger kids acting or thinking like adults. The more I thought about how I would have thought or acted when I was 14 or 15, the more I realized how spot-on Mr. Grant has been writing.

So once again it is important to note that this isn't an easy emotional read. These are kids dealing with very big problems and not always getting it right. The hallmark of the writing style here is realism.

However, for me, realism is the thing that also keeps these books from being really great or amazing in my mind. I don't mind real, but often these are not my favorite books because I want amazing, wonderful things to happen that make me feel like those kind of things could happen in my life. I want an escape and hope.

But I'll keep reading because there is value in realism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunger.