Stephen Woodfin's Reviews > Verliege

Verliege by Micheal Rivers

Apr 14, 12

Read in April, 2012

VERLIEGE is a fine paranormal thriller in which both the people and the ghosts are seldom what they appear.
Michael Rivers’ novel divides into two basic parts. In part one, a psychiatrist travels to a secret American prison to meet with a convicted murderer. In the course of his treatment, the doctor is able to draw out the man’s story, which borders on madness.
Rivers uses a technique in this first section that reminded me of the early chapters of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO. He has the convict tell the story in a long, uninterrupted narrative. The style of the narrator’s prose has an intentionally archaic sound to it, which adds to the mystery of the novel’s set up.
Because the doctor believes his patient’s fantastic story, he finds himself in the second part of the book on a journey to Castle Verliege in Germany. There he hopes to uncover the true facts of the murder. Soon the doctor and his team of investigators discover that the castle harbors generations of ghosts who have their own agendas.
We see the story through the eyes of many participants, human and ghostly. Until the last page, we feel there is something yet to come, a mystery still unrevealed.
Because the apparitions retain their human emotions, they teach us that treachery is a universal pastime. They also remind us that it is the nature of a scorpion to sting.
Those who enjoy paranormal adventures should take a look at this book.

I reviewed this book as part of the Read and Review team at World Literary Café. Although I received a free review copy, I also purchased the book from the Kindle store.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Verliege.