Patty's Reviews > Citizen Girl

bookshelves: chick-lit, crap
Recommended for: idiots, masochists
Read in March, 2009

HOLY MOTHER OF SUCK.

I should have put it down as soon as I realized the main character's name was "Girl." No, really. And her boss is named "Guy"! And her boyfriend is named "Buster"! And the woman brought in to reorganize her company is named "Manley"! Wow, authors, you're so smart, your readers will never figure that out! ... wait.

1. Girl is not at all a likable character. What a whiny cliche of feminism. I have a hard time reading a book when I find nothing to connect with or like about any of the characters. A chick (ooooh, I said chick! Way to hold womyn down!) who doesn't "allow" her boyfriend to go to strip clubs, who counts the ways to be offended as a woman in every situation she's in ... yeah, not someone I'd EVER hang out with. Yet she sticks with some loser who ditches her for a ride after the first time he meets her. Awesome.

2. The story went nowhere, except to drill in our heads that all men are sexist pigs who'd rape us given half a chance, and anything to do with sexuality or the sex trades is WRONG WRONG WRONG. Sorry, the stripper mom on her cell phone telling her kid goodnight was MAKING. A. CHOICE.

3. And by the way, get the hell over yourself, crying in the shower after you had a drunk mindless screw with YOUR BOYFRIEND. Seriously? I can't believe he didn't dump you right then and there. Grow up, skank.

I think I'm all set. Ahhhhh.

P.S. I loved the authors' other 2 books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Citizen Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Patty you crack my ass up!!

Jennifer HA! You make me laugh. I started reading this waste of trees, but I could not get into it and found it annoying. After reading the reviews here I have decided NOT to finish it! Thank you for saving me precious time.