Pinar Celebi's Reviews > Sürü

Sürü by Frank Schätzing

May 12, 12

bookshelves: 1001-books, animals, books-read-in-2012, e-books, german-lit, kindle, sci-fi
Read from April 14 to May 05, 2012

Pinuccia's World of Books

Although the plot of "The Swarm" is strong, its execution was a big disappointment for me. I couldn't help but think (like a good majority of the previous reviewers of this book) that the author had the idea of getting a disaster movie out of his book. There were many references to characters looking like well-known movie actors, In addition, giving the US Government a controlling role in the research aspect of the plot seemed strange to me at first (Note that the author is German) but then it appeared as Schätzing was in a way welcoming Hollywood movie makers.

Noone can deny the fact that there lies a deep research beneath this book. Actually, too much of the book was full of complex and detailed scientific explanations, which reminded me of some books of Jules Verne (such as From the Earth to the Moon). Although brief summaries would suffice, these deep scientific explanations appeared so frequently that I was distracted from the core plot.

My problem with the book was pretty simple: Every time the author started to speed up things, he immediately let it go by either some lenghty piece of character development or unnecessarily detailed scientific content. For instance, while you are reading about a tsunami, it may suddenly be interrupted by a random character considering a three-some with a couple of Norwegian guys. I was so annoyed by such interruptions so it took me ages to finish the book off.

Still, if you are interested in marine science or ecology of the oceans. It may turn out to be an enjoyable read for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sürü.

04/14/2012