Daniel Cann's Reviews > The Brass Verdict

The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

Apr 14, 12

Read in April, 2012

This is admittedly my first Connelly book and neither have I seen ‘The Lincoln Lawyer’ the film adaptation of that novel so I went into this one with no preconceptions.

Well, upon reaching the end of ‘The Brass Verdict’ it is clear that Connelly is particularly adept at writing strong interesting characters such as Haller, Bosch, Cisco and Walter Elliot, the studio head who Haller is tasked with defending on the charge of a double murder. Haller particularly convinces as a talented advocate with a troubled and unconventional private life. He has minimal contact with his ex-wife and young daughter and Connelly manages to make Haller’s life away from the courtrooms just as compelling and gripping.

The case is riveting and well handled and Connelly displays an excellent knowledge of the Law courts, procedure, including the gamesmanship and manoeuvring that goes on together with the painstaking process of jury vetting, the legal arguments and the presentation of the facts. This gives an authentic feel to events and I was captivated by the trial and legal minutiae.

If you factor in all the other developments going on in the background, the unexpected twists, the jurors, witnesses, convicts, reporters and hit men involved you have a first rate thriller packed with incident and intrigue.

I thoroughly enjoyed ‘The Brass Verdict’ from its gutsy opening to its unexpected surprise ending. This is a fantastically crafted story and it is easy to see why Connelly continues to be on the Best-seller lists.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brass Verdict.