Lissa's Reviews > Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body

Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin

8220121
Apr 14, 12

Read from April 03 to 10, 2012

The author explains the human body by interweaving aspects of the fossil record, embryology, physiology, comparative anatomy, and genetics in a manner that is widely understandable. In doing so, he provides the current (2008) scientific understanding of evolution - although this is not explicitly stated. It is a compelling story and if evolution were taught as part of what we know about our own biology, starting in grade school, I doubt that there would be the degree of public controversy over teaching evolution that exists in some places today. That controversy, in and of itself is a prime example and result of how our schools are failing - but I digress. Understanding the biology also leads one to the conclusion that if humans were designed intelligently, there would major differences in both anatomy and physiology, which would leave us less vulnerable to different types of problems.
I rated this book a 4, not a 5, because of the narrative style. When the author sticks to the scientific subject matter, he does well. His forays into his own personal experiences are annoying and detracting, as are his attempts at humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Inner Fish.