Charlie's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

May 20, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, favourite-heroines, supernatural-creatures, read-2012, books-i-own, favourites
Read from May 14 to 20, 2012

Spoiler free bit:
Katsa has one green eye and one blue. She's a graceling - feared by most because not only is she graceling but she is a graceling who is graced with killing. Used by her uncle to torture and kill his enemies she is exploited. Despite what people think, she hates her grace and sets it upon herself to help others in secret. Its a secret mission to save King of Lienid’s father who has been kidnapped that changes her life. She meets Po - a fellow graceling who seems to be able to match her skill. Together they set off in search of the truth and learn a lot more than they bargained for.

Predictable, slow paced but I enjoyed it. The whole concept is brilliant - I loved the idea of gracelings. It was funny - the one liners, the sarcasm, the playful relationships at the begining - it was easy to fall in love with the characters! Some bits were a bit rushed and anti climatic

okay SPOILER BIT:

This book...*le sigh* I picture Raffin and the cute, but annoying, little brother and I found myself wishing I had a Po. *le sigh once more* the characters were strong - especially Katsa HIGH FIVE FOR TOUGH FEMALE LEADS!!

Okay lets just state the obvious. Sex scene. What? It took me about 10 minutes to realize I'd just read a sex scene. So it was nothing to get excited about but Im not used to reading a book and then BAM Katsa lost her virginity. Even a description of the sharp pain and blood. Nice.

PPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOR PO! I knew he was blind though. See - predictable. But I felt so sorry for him! His Grace was a blessing though I liked how his grace was then practically a gift! I also guessed that Katsa's grace was 'survival' If you asked yourself the right questions at the beginning aka 'whats starting fires and speed and whatever else amazing she can do have to do with killing???' It had to be something like survival right? BUT, although the 'This is obviously what will happen' of this book sometimes really pissed me off it was nice that instead of 'survival' her grace was described as 'life' It's what made me adore Katsa's character

...and speaking of katsa:

I liked how katsa grew - she started off thinking she needed no one to protect her and she didn't need friends she could handle herself but then she started to realise she needed those close to her more than she thought - she needed company and friendship to guide her. She hadn't realised how empty her life had been. She didn't realize what she'd lived all her life without until she had it. I loved how she grew as a character and we learnt as she learnt....if that makes sense. Im rubbish at trying to express what I mean. Yet...I still write reviews. bah! Anyway! Bitterblue brings out katsas nuturing side - she talks about not wanting children and how she thinks she's un natural but protecting bitterblue shows that she's not!
Her not wanting to marry is completely understandable - she's been controlled all her life and she's scared that she's going to be ocntrolled again. Its been carved into her brain!
I also liked the theme of 'power' if you had a the grace of the king or katsa's grace would you use it for good or evil?? If you have the power - you have the choice to use it for good or evil and katsa doesnt realize she has that choice until she meets po who tells her she always has a choice. He can see the good in her when she can't see it herself - he shows her that SHE has done good. A very good life lesson there. Kristin Cashore I salute you!

One of my favourite bits in the book was when she'd just got onto the Lienid boat into comfort I thought about all the stuff she'd done and how far she'd come - I just thought 'wow she was quite a remarkable person' This is also repeated when bitterblue lists them to po when they all find each other. It doesnt seem like you're reading it all - how can one book include so many different things. I loved it.

THE ENDING! BAAAH! I quite liked it though not many books I've read have that kind of ending. Of course I would of loved them to ride off into the sunset together and be all lovey dovey but somehow I don't think that ending would of suited Katsa's character! Its both sad and happy AND FOR ONCE NOT OF MY FAVOURITE CHARACTERS DIED!

Its a brilliant book! =)

Quick add ons:
some bits were a bit rushed and anti climatic - e.g the kings death but its still a page turner!
Bitterblue REALLY annoyed me.
and yeah.....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

Quotes Charlie Liked

Kristin Cashore
“I'm not going to wear a red dress," she said.
"It would look stunning, My Lady," she called.
She spoke to the bubbles gathered on the surface of the water. "If there's anyone I wish to stun at dinner, I'll hit him in the face.”

Kristin Cashore
“When a monster stopped behaving like a monster, did it stop being a monster? Did it become something else?”

Kristin Cashore
“What are you grinning at?" Katsa demanded for the third or fourth time. "Is the ceiling about to cave in on my head or something? You look like we're both on the verge of an enormous joke."
"Katsa, only you would consider the collapse of the ceiling a good joke.”

Kristin Cashore
“Sit, Your High Majestic Lord Princes," she said. She yanked a chair from the table and sat herself down.
"You're in fine temper," Raffin said.
"Your hair is blue," Katsa snapped back.”

Kristin Cashore
“Mercy was more frightening than murder, because it was harder.”

Kristin Cashore
“When you're a monster, you are thanked and praised for not being a monster.”

Kristin Cashore
“And I suppose it never occurred to you to start small. If I told you my roof needed rebuilding, you'd start by knocking down the house.”

Kristin Cashore
“How absurd it was that in all seven kingdoms, the weakest and most vulnerable of people - girls, women - went unarmed and were taught nothing of fighting, while the strong were trained to the highest reaches of their skill.”

05/15/2012 page 58
05/17/2012 page 113
24.0% "For some reason I keep thinking that Prince Tealiff is called tealeaf and its really annoying me."
05/18/2012 page 137
29.0% "trying to read while tired baaah! I would of finished this already if I didn't have a headache! I really want to put something clever and witty here but my heads hurting so much I can't think of anything =( So far - Po = adorable, Katsa = I love her, seriously, I HATE whiny female main characters and Katsa is brilliant, Raffin - He's just....awwwwww!"
05/20/2012 page 159
34.0% "As its my day off today Im going to try and get this book finished!! I read a chapter last night and I got thinking..*spoilers* I'd LOVE Katsa's grace - I've been told enough about this book to know that her grace isn't actually killing! But Po's grace...hmm I like the whole sensing people bit but KNOWING what people think about me? Might be handy BUT Im already insecure! Ignorance is bliss!"
05/20/2012 page 189
40.0% "Spoiler.

Wait. Page 189. Did I just read a sex scene. I think I did. Well. I wasn't expecting that."
05/20/2012 page 252
72.0% "Oh my god he's blind isn't he! baah! I bet you in the next 100 pages Im going to find out Po is blind. I hope he's not! But the whole balance thing and stuff AND he can still 'see' because of his grace...right?? Im going to look like an idiot if he's not!

Im finding the pace quite slow and usually that'd make me stop reading out of boredom but I like this book - its predictable but i still want to read on! =)"
05/20/2012 page 309
88.0% "Oh po, come back into the story so I can see if you're blind or not! I started ACTUALLY reading this properly at about 3pm and its now 7:30pm and I'd usually be finished by now...=/ I have to keep stopping to actually..you know...do what normal people do like eat...but by 8 Im gonna be finished - okay!!!!"