Mazarkis Williams's Reviews > King of Thorns

King of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Apr 16, 12

King Jorg celebrates his wedding day but all is not auspicious: the Prince of Arrow has surrounded the Haunt with thousands of men. On his way to becoming emperor, the prince will defeat all and any in his path - and Jorg is in the way.

Jorg has a necromantic power he does not want, a mysterious copper box he fears to open, and a ghost who haunts him in private moments. His new, determined wife is an intriguing addition to the mix - young but fearsome - and Katherine has her own, most welcome point of view. Chella the necromancer appears again, and new characters are added, both allies and enemies.

King of Thorns, like Prince of Thorns, is a tale told on many levels. First, the battle plays out in breathless action and presents a series of strategic puzzles to be solved. Second, the pages of Katherine's diary, which are found blowing through the mountain valleys, are similarly scattered throughout the book. Third, intense flashbacks bring Jorg in contact with his family and new allies.

Told in Lawrence's trademark, lush prose, and never ceasing to surprise, King of Thorns pushes young Jorg ever more towards adulthood. I strongly recommend this book.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Thorns.

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I am ALL the jealous. :P

Mazarkis Williams I have also read Emperor of Thorns . . .

message 3: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Well this is awkward. I really do like you, Maz, but now I may have to kill you...

message 4: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Just kidding. Hopefully that was obvious.

Besides, who would write your books if I did that. :P

I will wait and lurk and perhaps read the other 50+ books I should read before KoT comes out. :S

Mazarkis Williams :) Yes please don't kill me as I need to finish this trilogy

message 6: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence Quite likely Maz is the only one of the 14 ppl to rate the book so far to have actually read it. All the times I've queried anyone it's turned out they thought they were rating Prince of Thorns (or in the case of the 4* rating - the lady was trying to add Prince & King to her 'to read' list on an iPhone...)

Contrarius Lynching posse, form up to the right....we'll be ridin' at dawn...

message 8: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle For about 3 seconds I wondered if perhaps you were both the same person. Then I decided that if you were, you were doing a pretty impressive job of portraying two different people with different personalities and different writing styles. Also, I'm not sure either of you would have the free time to write books and put in the effort required to maintain two internet presences (often in the same twitter conversations).

Relevant? Not really. Just felt like typing this while drinking tea. :P

message 9: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence Michelle wrote: "For about 3 seconds I wondered if perhaps you were both the same person. Then I decided that if you were, you were doing a pretty impressive job of portraying two different people with different pe..."

Wouldn't a writer be good at portraying different people with different personalities and using different styles of writing? And as a teccy I'd be well placed to spoof the Boston IP on Maz postings... I think you're on to something.

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Yeah, it's not impossible but I don't see why you would bother.

I mean, it's not as if you are particularly shy and people already know who you are so I can't see a legit reason why you would pretend to be two people when you could probably promote your books more effectively by combining both 'authors' into one.

Unless it is all a big game for your amusement. I wouldn't put that past the 'Mark' personality. :S

Then again, I'm not convinced you would never slip up and post a sarcastic Mark comment as Maz at some point if someone left a really good opening. I always thought I had rather good self control but I'm not sure I could. :P

Gah, now I'm less sure.

Now you are just toying with me aren't you?

I'm going to hide now.

message 11: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Also, Maz rates and reviews books and you don't.

And also once said 'I'm not Mark'.

This evidence proves nothing but I'm going to decide the matter is settled and go back to my safe world where people are separate. :P

Otherwise I will keep thinking until I concoct a conspiracy where all authors are actually part of some kind of hive mind, write a book about it, then found a religion based on it.

If you are both the same person you are doing far too good a job of pretending not to be and win my awe forever. :P

Mazarkis Williams Well now you must base a religion on it, or I will be disappointed.

message 13: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence Well now you must base a religion on it, or I will be disappointed.