Amrita's Reviews > The Fry Chronicles

The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry

Apr 14, 12

Read in April, 2012

I came upon this book at a most trying time in my life. Finally getting a job after looking for 10 months; leading 2 sleep-deprived, self-doubting and stressed two weeks behind it; and finally quitting it. Reading about Fry's Cambridge days whenever I could get around to it was terribly, terribly tempting and escapist. As I quit my job, I reached the start of Fry's career and his progressive progress(ha, wouldn't Fry love it) at it. I wouldn't be bold enough to say that my life and my self resemble his'. But I will say that I envy his career not for its astonishing successes, but for its variety, its ambitious attempts, its mad industry and the gigantic amount of heart that went behind it. Stephen Fry is by and large a comedian; he performs in multiple art forms of expression(some artsy, some fartsy, some not so artsy-fartsy) and yet there is an acutely self-conscious man stumbling into a career that sometimes needs superficiality to just remain at the threshold of sanity. His excesses; his grappling with money, sugar, tobacco, workaholism, technology is all very different from the ways others do it. Yes, there are -holics, but not all -holics are the same. To think that bipolar disorder explains EVERYTHING that makes up Stephen Fry is wrong. Because what makes Stephen Fry is not a disorder. It is a life well lived, for it is a well of love that runs it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fry Chronicles.