Richard Griffith's Reviews > Middlemarch

Middlemarch by George Eliot

May 27, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 14 to May 27, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlemarch.

Quotes Richard Liked

George Eliot
“One’s self-satisfaction is an untaxed kind of property which it is very unpleasant to find deprecated.”
tags: pride

George Eliot
“For the egoism which enters into our theories does not affect their sincerity; rather, the more our egoism is satisfied, the more robust is our belief.”

George Eliot
“But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.”

04/25/2012 page 298
33.0% "I am so hoping that Fred Vincy can get his act together. He and Mary Garth seem so perfect for each other."
04/30/2012 page 371
41.0% "Just passed the death of Peter Featherstone and the subsequent reading of his Will (actually, as it turns out, both Wills). Poor Fred, not what he expected at all. That section was quite the page-turner."
05/08/2012 page 520
58.0% "A task too strong for wizard spells, This squire had brought about; 'Tis easy dropping stones in wells, But who shall get them out?"
05/15/2012 page 634
70.0% "'For there can live no hatred in thine eye,
Therefore in that I cannot know thy change;
In many's looks the false heart's history
Is writ in moods and frowns and wrinkles strange;
But Heaven in thy creation did decree
That in thy face sweet love should ever dwell;
Whate'er thy thoughts or thy heart's workings be,
Thy looks should nothing thence but sweetness tell.'
- Shakespeare: Sonnets"
05/20/2012 page 729
81.0% ""'Tis one thing to be tempted, Escalus, Another thing to fall." - Measure for Measure."
05/26/2012 page 850
94.0% "'My grief lies onward and my joy behind.' - Shakespeare: Sonnets."
05/27/2012 page 904
100.0% "The growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."