Danica Page (One Page at a Time)'s Reviews > The Lifeguard

The Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal

This is a condensed version of my review. To see my review in its entirety, please click here.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off I'd like to thank netgalley and the publisher of this book for giving me a chance to review this.

I went into this book after simply having read the cover and the synopsis. Plus, I'm a lifeguard so there was a big draw for me to read it. I was expecting this to be a beachy summer romance. And while it did take place on a beach and there was romance, this novel wasn't at all like I expected it would be.

That wasn't a bad thing and in fact I found myself rather enjoying reading this. Sirena was a character that I actually enjoyed reading about. Her world is falling apart back home and she's trying to rediscover herself. The relationship between her and Pilot was interesting. I also really enjoyed seeing them interact with each other.

I really liked the novel, the characters, and the writing. Basically I really enjoyed this novel except for one thing. I felt like the paranormal element was a little rushed and didn't seem fully developed to me. I feel like I would have liked this novel better if a) the paranormal element hadn't been included or b) the paranormal novel was fleshed out more throughout the entire novel.

Having stated that, I did really enjoy reading this novel. It's a quick read and for the most part it is really enjoyable.

In Summary: An original, intriguing novel that I enjoyed reading. While this wasn't my favorite novel I've read this year, I still liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeguard.

04/13/2012 page 110