Bel Watson's Reviews > The Lucky One

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

6791938
Apr 13, 2012

Read from April 13 to 14, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Well... I wanted to read something cheesy. I don't know, I was in the mood and I knew my sparkly friend was going to give me what I wanted. But, among all his books, which one? As I'm a big fan of Zac Efron, I told myself I had to read this book before the movies came out, so the decision wasn't that hard.
Technically, I'm not a big fan of Sparks, mostly because he has big issues with tenses. I mean, my friend, you can't be narrating in past and then PUM! change to present. No! that's wrong, that confuses me and disorientates me and any reader that is paying attention at how it is written. I mean, even in Grammar for Dummies you'll find that it is not okay to do such a thing. You can't just put "she went there yesterday". No, that yesterday is wrong! Ugh. But once I got over his mistakes that only bothers me because of my OCD, I could enjoy the book.
About Beth. She is smart and funny and I really liked her personality and how it was portrayed. Logan... Oh, I just saw him as Zac in my mind and it was perfect. Though the character is great too, I really felt amazed by his intelligence and humor. His kindness and patient really got me. I hated Clayton, oh that bastard. Obsessive, stalker, stupid, arrogant. Ugh, the worst kind. Nana.. she is an idol, I adore her and she made me laugh so many times. Ben, oh sweet boy, I love him too. But, of course, the best character and the real hero was Zeus. Oh that dog, that incredible dog. He stole my heart from the very beginning.
Now... another problem with Sparks. He made me cried! that son of a b*ch. He made me believe I've lost Logan, he made me think he had died at the end. That's not okay! He really scared me at the end and when I read that Logan survived, oh my God, my heart started to beat again. I know if I see Nicholas Sparks one day, I will punch him in the face for what he did.
Generally, I enjoyed the book despite the obvious mistakes. I laughed several times, cried out of excitement, jumped on my bed, I even throw my iPod away in one moment because I couldn't handle it. I think he created good characters, well defined and shaped through the novel. The plot was very cute and the reading easy-going. So I liked more than I though (I didn't have high hopes about it).
I would have given it five stars, but I can't forget those mistakes with the tenses. I mean, decide, man, whether you write in present, or you write in past. You can't change the tense in the same paragraph. Ugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lucky One.

04/13/2012 page 36
04/14/2012 page 222
68.0% "I wanted something cheesy and here I found it."
show 1 hidden update…