Dusty Craine's Reviews > The Poet: A Novel

The Poet by Michael Connelly

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 13 to 21, 2012

It took a while getting used to a new lead character. I feel like the story started slow because Connelly had to introduce Jack McEvoy. Harry Bosch doesn't require as much establishing story because by now we're pretty sure we know who Harry is.

Jack is a fascinating character with a troubled past. There were several twists in this novel and even picking it up knowing that there were future books with these characters in it didn't spoil the twists. A great non-Harry Bosch novel from Connelly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poet.

04/18/2012
30.0% "Was a little slower getting started than a Harry Bosch book but it's gotten really good."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Aiesha (new) - added it

Aiesha Did you strategically pick to read this book in the middle of the series or did you just do it?? I was told that I need to read this book before The Narrows because it will definitely help. However, I know it's not a part of the series and probably would not have known that had someone not told me that.

Dusty Craine Aiesha wrote: "Did you strategically pick to read this book in the middle of the series or did you just do it?? I was told that I need to read this book before The Narrows because it will definitely help. Howev..."

I actually was looking at Connelly's website and saw the year that it was written in. I noticed that it contained a character that was in later novels so I figured I'd read it before going on after Angels Flight.

That said, I haven't done it for all of them. I haven't read Blood Work and I honestly don't know when I will, but I did grab Void Moon because that sounded interesting despite the character not being a major player in other books. I'll probably read them in order of Connelly's release of them going forward.