M.'s Reviews > Divine Filth: Lost Writings

Divine Filth by Georges Bataille

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: 2006-or-before, 2009, poetry, bataille, with-me-in-ca
Read in March, 2009

A second reading of this, in the midst of Bataille's entire oeuvre; highlights one thing in particular: Translator Mark Spitzer's decision to translate Bataille's French into a fairly contemporary American English is a very odd thing to read. A protagonist of Bataille saying "This sucks" while in bed with a representation of God seems odd to me, but in actually considering everything I know about Bataille, it makes sense.

Underlined fragments:

from "Filthy"
"'Stop laughing,' I said."
(Underlined due to it's seemingly contradictory nature to the ideas of laughter repeatedly brought up in Guilty-- my consideration/evaluation of Bataille's choice here leads me to believe that Filthy (Dirty) is more of Bataille than Leon here, and the practice of inner experience is conveyed & tested in a fictional universe to extend Bataille's theses)

from "Divinity"
"Her expressionless face attracted me. She didn't smile, but spoke slowly, as if the task of talking bored her [...:] baffled that such impersonal language and ennui could emanate from someone so beautiful."
(I find a level of personal satisfaction and almost fetishization in encountered a "bored" attractive male, and the method in which Bataille addresses it appeals to me.)

"If we sleep together tonight, I wouldn't want you to remember it tomorrow."

from various poems & fragments

"If an orgasmic dick engendered the universe, it'd make it like it is: / in the transparency of the sky, we'd have blood, screams, stench."

"the idea of the future / the apex / the game"

"at that moment / I heard the sky fall"

"alone in me / death observes / the universe / and chokes me // I am the nothingness / the sun is my grave // my absence radiates"

"silence is a church / where pigs are slaughtered"

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine Filth.