Krista Lineweaver's Reviews > The Hunger Games

F_50x66
Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: children-s-literature
Read in March, 2012

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, was an excellent science fiction novel intended for the advanced audience, because of the content included in the story. It has been awarded severeal times, some of them are the Georgia Peach Book Award (2009), A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year (2008), Cybils Award for Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction (2008), Amelia Bloomer List (2009), and An ALA Notable Children's Book for Older Readers (2009). The story was about a young girl that takes the place for her sister in the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is a group of 24 children, a boy and a girl from each district, that fight until the death, until one child is left in the game. It is a very horrific story of loss, death, and violence, but was a wonderful book. I would not have young children read this because of the content, but older teenagers and adults have fallen in love with the new storyline that has not been told yet. It is placed in the future, where it could possibly happen, which makes some adults nervous to think about how real it could become. The only activities that I can think about that could be done by teachers would be to have the children think about what they want the future to be like. They can draw about it or write about it. Get the children to become creative when completing this activity, I think as teachers we will be very surprised to see what our students come up with. The plot, themes, and characters are fully developed. Katniss, the main character, was extremely brave to take the place of her sister and showed courage and strength throughout the entire book. I believe that this book is very appealing to the older readers because of these reasons.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.