Amy Overton's Reviews > A. Lincoln

A. Lincoln by Ronald C. White Jr.

May 28, 12

Read from April 13 to May 22, 2012

Abraham Lincoln has always fascinated me. As I"ve studied his impact on American History & Government I consistently found myself shaking my head in wonder that a poor boy born to two almost-illiterate parents could become not only one of the best presidents in U.S. History, but the author of speeches, letters & ideas that still resonate today. How did he do it? Where did his thoughtfulness, compassion & integrity come from? A. Lincoln provides some interesting possibilities in response to that question. The author traces the development of Lincoln's ideas/ beliefs throughout his life by extensive analysis of Lincoln's own words, preserved in speeches, journals, letters, notes and diaries. It's a testament to Mr. White's skill that the result feels a bit like a thought-provoking conversation with a friend, instead of a dry historical dissertation. Rather than placing Lincoln on a pedestal of unreachable "demi-god" status, White uses Lincoln's own words to paint a portrait of a highly intelligent man who continually asked questions of the world, worked hard to find the answers & had the courage to modify his ideas in response to the answers he found. Though Lincoln is portrayed as more human than in many texts I've read previously, my appreciation for the life of this remarkable man has only grown as result of reading this book. It is definitely a "must read" for anyone who wants a clear & comprehensive view of an amazing life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A. Lincoln.