Colleen O'Neill Conlan's Reviews > Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You: 13 Stories

Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You by Alice Munro

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: short-stories
Read from April 13 to 15, 2012

I love Munro's writing. She reminds me of all the complexities of a woman's relationships. As daughters, sisters, wives, lovers, friends. God, she writes sisterly characters exceptionally well. I'm especially drawn to stories of elderly sisters, often living together after one or the other is widowed. There is love, but there is all this history and conflict between them, as in the title story. Memorial is another sister story, about one sister arriving at the other's home for her teenage son's memorial service. I also have a real affinity for stories about girls on the cusp of...something. The Found Boat and Executioners have that quality, that sense that something has happened that will gain meaning for these girls after the story is over.

That's part of what keeps bringing me back to Munro's stories. They never really end, not in a way that gives one a sense of completion. Yet they are so satisfying. We talk about stories starting in media res, but it is as though this is how her narratives the middle of things. I always have to put the book down and absorb what I've just read before reading another story. They really stay with me.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You.