Sofie Milenkovic's Reviews > Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof

F 50x66
Apr 13, 2012

I was very impressed by this book. In my opinion, most authors of books on the "empowerment of women" focus mainly on the statistics--which are mind-blowing in themselves, but which often make it difficult to connect with many of the characters. Kristof managed to insert statistics; yet, at the same time, told the stories of many individual girls, which made me much more emotionally connected throughout the book.
Best of all, "Half the Sky" really gives readers opportunities to help. Kristof admits that we still have a long way to go, but gives us examples such as the founder of the organization 34 Million Friends, which started with one editorial still hasn't ended. The emotion of the book combines with the desire to do something for these young women.

As a young woman myself, I really connected with some of these girls. Kristof made me regard statistics as human beings, and made me really think about making a difference. A must read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Sky.