Amy's Reviews > The Mermaid Chair

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

Aug 25, 08

bookshelves: romantic-notions

Ok this one is going to be hard to review. A year or so aga I heard some spoilers from an interview with the author of this book. I thought it sounded really psychotic. For some reason I picked it up this year. There are some elements that really bothered me. For example why does one have to have an affair to "find" yourself. On the other hand I really related to some of the emotions that the main charecter experienced. She created some art work that was her awakening and for some odd reason I really connected with that. Maybe I should start painting (j/k). There are some really strange elements, yet it was not as psychotic as I thought it would be once I read it. I would not highly reccomend this book. There are many other books out there that teach the same self-discovery themes with out the psycho stuff and affairs. This affair to "find" ones self seems to be a common theme. This lady even had a really good husband (not that it makes it ok when the spouse is horrible, well maybe j/k). Maybe I should write her (except for the small little detail that she isn't real)and tell her what it is like to not have a spouse in your life who loves you. I also gained a realization that we all have such differing trials, for some the trial is to have someone who loves you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid Chair.