Linda Sexauer's Reviews > The Gargoyle

Aug 25, 08

liked it
bookshelves: 2008
Read in August, 2008

This book had moments of brilliance, but in the end, it kind of flopped. I thought the ending was incredibly unclimactic. I've heard this book compared to Life of Pi, which I loved, in the sense that the reader (supposedly) wonders: did it all really happen or didn't it?

Since the marketing campaign asks me to compare these two books, then I shall. I must state that the inherent tension in Life of Pi never lets up. It makes one's head spin. I remember what a big deal it was to have found another person who had read that book, and to ask: "Well, what do you think?" My reaction to Life of Pi, my belief that the tiger was real, told me a great deal about myself. It was a brilliant book.

Unfortunately, The Gargoyle just didn't deliver that to me. Its a brilliant premise, meticulously researched and thought out. Davidson does a decent job of continuity of character and circumstance, but in the end it just kind of fell flat. I actually found it rather a chore (though a pleasurable one) to read it after awhile.

For Davidson's sake, I am glad that my feelings about the book seem to be in the minority. It is certainly a worthy and impressive effort, just not "great."
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gargoyle.

Clare I completely agree about the ending flopping. I was disappointed in how anticlimactic it was, and it colored my whole opinion of the book. Given how strong and interesting the beginning was, I expected something more.