Lisa Kay's Reviews > The Chief

The Chief by Monica McCarty

Beautiful pictures of Isle of Skye.
I think the there is something about the lighting in that part of the world.
Isle of Skye

★★★½☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Hmmm. I don’t know about this one. Several of the people I did a “buddy read” with in the GoodReads Western and Medieval Romance Lovers Group LOVED this highland romance (with several 5★); however, they read it while I listened. I certainly had to get used to Robert McNab’s narration. He did great job on the men. Nevertheless, since he has a deep baritone, he made Christine’s voice a falsetto; this made her sound even younger and more immature than she probably was in the book. (Though the age difference between the hero/heroine is greater than a decade; also, Tor, the hero, has been married before and has children well on their way to adulthood. She has been quite sheltered.) In addition, the love scenes are pretty explicit (the H/h get a little playful, too); I’ve found not just any male can read those scenes to me.

There were things I LOVED (view spoiler) -- and things that made me wrinkle up my nose. Some of the sentences Ms. McCarty writes are wonderful; others are repetitious. A few of the set-ups, and the dialogues that follow, had me going WTH? For example, Christine’s father forces her into to Tor’s bed to cement an alliance (huh?). The father’s reasoning was the biggest hurdle for me to overcome. I know marriage alliances were important, but what about when they were only one-sided? Later, when Christine goes back to rehash with her sister the disaster that took place in his room, this the interchange:
“I told you what he said. He doesn’t want to marry me.”

Beatrix cupped the side of her face in her hand and gave her an indulgent smile, looking more like a mother than a sister. “He’s angry. Give him time to think. He’ll see that you had nothing to do with our father’s trickery and do what is right.”
WTH? How is he going to know this when she did agree to slip into his bed, though only to spare her sister. That, and she was too naïve to realize the depth of her father’s deception (view spoiler), not to mention Tor’s desire: he walks around with a hard cock a lot and isn’t ashamed who sees it, LOL! (view spoiler)

Luckily, another carrot is dangled in front of Tor as a marriage inducement; otherwise we might never have our HEA.

Still, maybe I’m being too harsh, because I’m sure I’ll continue with the series. However, I don’t know if it will be on audio. Maybe.

The Chief (Highland Guard, #1) by Monica McCarty The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2) by Monica McCarty The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3) by Monica McCarty The Viper (Highland Guard, #4) by Monica McCarty The Saint (Highland Guard, #5) by Monica McCarty The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6) by Monica McCartycoming out October, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susan (susayq ~) what do you think of this?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Ahhhhh, so beautiful pics, Lisa Kay! Great review!

Lisa Kay Susan (susayq) wrote: "what do you think of this?"

Sorry, Susan, just now seeing this. Posted my review. ☺

Lisa Kay Baba wrote: "Ahhhhh, so beautiful pics, Lisa Kay! Great review!"

Thanks, Baba! Have you been there?

Karla Wow...Lisa Kay...great review. I love love the pics. I read this book and really enjoyed it and see that I don't have it marked. This happens to me all the time. Maybe I should do a re-read and then continue the series. Again, nice job LK!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Karla! I like it a lot too.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lisa Kay wrote: "Baba wrote: "Ahhhhh, so beautiful pics, Lisa Kay! Great review!"

Thanks, Baba! Have you been there?"

Oh, no, Lisa Kaye, I haven't been there! I have been to Edinburgh a very long time ago... ^_^

Shelly Good review LK, I have doubts about the narration now, won't be rushing to get it. The beginning was a stumbling block for me too, but after they get to Skye, I really enjoyed it!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Shelly!

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne The top one on the right is the famous "Fairy pools of Skye."

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Wonderful review, what lovely pics!

Brittany B. I love your reviews. (Im a crazy audio addict.) Gorgeous pictures!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Anne! I didn't know.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Sandra & Britanny B.!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Lica Kay, simply adoring the pictures! And the audio thing is tricky, sometimes you get a really bad narrator that gets on the nerves :S

message 16: by Susanne (new) - added it

Susanne Wow Scotland! Can we go now? Lol!

message 17: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Booklover Beautiful pictures Lisa!!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Blacky, Susanne, and Karen. Sorry, just now seeing your comments. I came back to fix my pics. ☺

Alex is The Romance Fox lovely review Kay...love the pics of Isle of Skye...i still want to go there one day:)

Karla That second spoiler cracked me up LK!! I 'read' the book, and I have to agree that while I enjoyed it, it wasn't without issues. Great review Lisa Kay!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Alex and Karla!

Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker   (Oh My Shelves) I read book 2, after listening to book 1. I am about read book 3, the narrator didn't do this book justice...though I may return to audio as I have book 4 in audio

Lisa Kay I'm glad someone agrees with me, Ezin!