Schmacko's Reviews > O Ye Jigs and Juleps!

O Ye Jigs and Juleps! by Virginia Cary Hudson

Aug 25, 2008

Read in August, 2008

The mythology about this popular little book is that it was written in 1904 by Virginia Cary Hudson, a 10-year-old student at a Louisville Episcopal boarding school. These essays on small town Americana and turn-of-the-century childhood were supposedly discovered in an attic trunk in 1960 by Hudson’s daughter.

I don’t care if the story of their provenance is true or false, the essays are funny. Here’s the beginning of her take on church Sacraments:

Sacraments are what you do in Church. What you do at home is something else. Cooking and sewing and running the Bissels sweeper and eating and sleeping and praying and scrubbing yourself are not sacraments.

When you are little and ugly somebody carries you in church on a pillow, and you come out a child of God and inheritor of the Kingdom of Heaven. They pour water on your head and that's a sacrament. When you are twelve you walk back in yourself with your best dress and shoes on, and your new prayer book your mother buys you, and you walk up to the Bishop, and he stands up, and you knell down, and he mashes on your head, and you are an Episcopal. Then you are supposed to increase in spirit. Then everyone kisses you and that's a sacrament. Only I left out the bread and wine. That's a sacrament too. I tasted some of the bread in the choir room and it tasted just like my gold fish wafers.

It may not be the most intellectual (or believable) read, but it’s enjoyable, innocent, and short. The whole book will take you a couple hours. I read O Ye Jigs and Juleps! every so often because it’s fun.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read O Ye Jigs and Juleps!.

03/19 marked as: read